Sunday, June 15, 2008

People Look So Much More Beautiful When They're WET, PT. 2!



So I got into the venue, it was a lot smaller than I expected. I envisioned a lot of flat ground and people huddled together on picnic blankets. The venue was set up with bleachers and a "field" area where all the freaks were stationed. Everyone was wet at this point, most people blown out of their minds and ready to see Vampire Weekend.

I must say, I got VERY lucky. Lucky that I was off from work. Lucky that I made the 3:31 train. Lucky that I didn't go home when I saw the rain. Lucky that I had the perseverance to stay in line for 20 minutes, alone, while many people told me they were not letting anyone else in the venue and that I was wasting my time. From what I've heard post-show, people waited in line much earlier than I did so in away my experience was nothing compared to theirs.

Anyway, the show! I stationed myself on the field with all the freaks. As soon as I got situated I dug in my crowded pockets for a cigarette. A pretty Indian looking girl caught my eye and motioned for a liter. She had a friend and they were both drunk as a couple of war veterans, dancing madly in the rain. I still had my umbrella, luckily, and made use of it several times through out the show. VW definitely attracted the IVY college crowd. I noticed a few people reppin' clothing from their respective schools.

All in all, Vampire Weekend was excellent. The atmosphere was amazing though. In retrospect, I think the rain added a new dynamic to their music and made it more interesting. I envisioned the day to be hot and humid...I got just the opposite. Listening to fun, dance music in the rain is certainly an interesting experience, one that I'll always associate with Vampire Weekend.

Summer is here, see you guys at the next show!

popGURU

PICS:




No comments: