Monday, November 17, 2008

The Night of Girl Talk (11/16)

Last night I saw Girl Talk perform @ Terminal 5.

A group by the name of Grand Buffet opened for the Pennslyvanian DJ. They were actually VERY entertaining. They were a three piece rap group, made up of an older looking front man, with a red beer and frail frame, a large heavy set rapper, and a trippy "hype man" that just danced through the whole set.


Grand Buffet @ Terminal 5

Their music was a mixture of humorous rap and electronic beats. The front man kept making references to Cocaine, like when he confessed that there was an Island off the coast of Haiwi that was made of pure cocaine and Aquafina water. They also seemed to be obsessed with Skittles, maybe a reference to E?



Next was Girl Talk.

I had heard about previous Girl Talk shows and how he only uses a computer and does mash ups of all types of music, but also that he allows dozens of fans up on stage with him. I made it my goal that night to get on the stage, by what ever means necessary. I'm not accustom to being turned down, not at concerts. I always get a ticket, always get to where I want to be, always try and enjoy myself.

Girl Talk reminded me a bit of Crystal Castles, except the crowd was young and juvenile. As soon as the show started, I felt that familiar wave of adrenaline push me from left, to right, ten feet forward and then five feet back. Knowing that I was being pushed around by a bunch of Highschoolers got me a bit frusturated.

I met this girl that looked like a raver chick. She had glasse on with crazy fluorescent beeds and what not.
"If you help me, I'll help you" she whispered into my ear.

"I don't know you're name, but I think you're really amazing" she said to me before Girl Talk started which made me believe she might be tripping on E.
We latched hands and stayed together for five minutes, until we got hit by a huge wave that separated us...I never saw that girl again.

I made several attempts at getting on stage. I tried the "brother to brother" approach that has worked in the past to bypass security(A La Vampire Weekend). "The brother to brother" approach is really a language that black people use to communicate with one another. When another "brother" sees, a fellow brother in need of something, they usually do all they can to help that "brother" out.

Hence the expression, "Help a brother out!"

The security at Terminal 5 obviously didn't know about this unwritten language.

"I'm warning you, if you push, you're going to get hurt"

"I'm not pushing man"

This one security guard(pictured up top) was having a ball pushing against my stomach, marking up my plaid shirt and making me angry.

I got beer poured on me and decided it was time to take a break from trying to get on stage. I smoked a green cigarette with a couple of Highschoolers that know my little brother.

I found myself back in front of the security guards trying again to get on stage. They weren't letting anyone on, nobody could get past these guys. I talked with them some more, asking very nicely to get on stage. I got so frusturated, and came to the realization that I was NOT going to get on stage legitamently. I devised a plan to knock over the security so EVERYBODY could get on stage.
"On three, we push!"

Everyone agreed.

"One, two, three...PUSH!!!"
Security warned me not tell people to push. I don't take orders from very many people, I love to go against authority.

I put my camera in the face of a few security guards, to piss them off a bit, so they might loosen up their grip and we could push through them.

"Don't take a picture...don't do it...don't do it"

"Say cheese" I say with a big grin on my face.

CLICK!

TO BE CONTINUED....

No comments: