Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Suburban Bohemian Somethinggg or Otherrr:Various Chinatowns and Philly

Chinatown is a great little slice of NYC that I haven't been to since I went on a field trip in 6th grade to visit my Asian pen pal.


According to my sources Chinatown is run by the Chineese Mob, the triad controls New York, New Jersey and Philly Chinatowns. The Chinatown in New York might as well be it's own fucking city because that's exactly how it operates, no NYPD, defferent set of rules...China rules!

I lost all my pictures from Chinatown going to Philly somehow, I think someone was playing with my camera when I was sleeping and deleted them, either that or they deleted themselves, or I deleted them.

On my way to Philly, I hunted down a 6 pack of Heineken and proceeded to get drunk on the bus ride. Arriving in Philly drunk was a bad idea because I got hustled into paying some strange guy 10 dollars to walk me a couple blocks (read more about that HERE), not a great start to the trip. I also dropped my wallet in the middle of a busy street, but luckily some kind lady picked it up and returned it to me, other wise I would have been FUCKED 15 minutes into my trip.


All in all, Philly is a cool city. I always want to compare a city to New York but that's juts not possible. Philly is quieter and less crowded, has a richer history it seems and from what I hear is more dangerous.


You can tell a lot about a city by the homeless people in it.

The homeless in Philly prey on people like me. I'll be walking around with a big grin on my face and cigarette in my mouth and a street guy will come up to me with a big smile on his face and light my cigarette.

"Thanks man"

"Hey man, you wanna help somebody out tonight...here you can have this liter, I have two"

"Aww man, sorry, I don't have any change on me"

"You know, it's alright man, you can still have the liter"

"Shit man, thanks, here's a dollar"

I'm easy prey. I can't help myself but feel bad for these guys and give them money, or food, or cigarettes because deep down inside I know they need money and cigarettes more than I ever will.

The best part about Chinatown is the liquor stores don't card you, or atleast they don't card me. You know how if you look at a Chineese person you can't really tell how old they are, they could be 28 or 18, well that's how Chineese people feel when they look at black people. So I appear to be either 28 or 18 to all Chineese people.

Also, anytime you're in Chinatown and you want to buy something, negotiate your prices.

The tickets from NYC to Philly are 12 dollars one way, the cost of my travel round trip was 15 dollars. On the way there I said, "how's ten dollars sound?" and with out any hesitation the lady accepted. On the way back, an older Asian man sold me a ticket for 5 dollars, HAHA.


When I got back to NYC, I was tired, hung over and hungry so I went to McDonalds and bought 2 large fries a Big Mac and a Cheese Burger, ate the whole thing, bought some candy to top it off and passed out on the train ride home to CT.

So what the fuck is a Suburban Bohemian Somethinggg or Otherrr?

Next stop? LA?

Read Cigarette Diaries for more on my adventures with a convicted killer!

The Popular Guru

No comments: